About this Page

Hello, my name is Carly-Anne! This has been my fourth year at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, which means I'm a senior (yay), and will hopefully graduate in the spring (awe!). I have really enjoyed my time spent at UW-P. There are so many classes and professors that have changed my life, and it has provided me with friendships, as well as outlets for my creativity and ambition.

I am very excited to be doing this blog. Not only will I be able to share my experiences with you, the pseudo-reader, I will also be cataloging one of the last years of the "best years of my life!"

But ... I hate one sided conversations, they're so didactic, don't 'yah think? So, if you're an avid blogger, or just stumbled here by accident from your virtual path:
hit me up, and take the polls!


Wednesday, January 9, 2008

To Grandmother's House We Go


It is a tradition in my family to travel to my grandmother's farm in Iowa for holidays, and this winter was no different. I traveled with my husband out to my parent's house in Kenosha County to spend a smaller, more personal celebratory time with my mom, dad, and my little sister, who flew in from Colorado for a few weeks. (But, sadly, has gone back!)

One of the things I most appreciate about attending UW-Parkside is that I live so close to home! It is a reasonable 30 minute drive to the county from Racine, but it's far enough away that I have always been more connected to the city than the county. This makes every get away to "home" an experience to treasure! Often, my parents come up and visit me, too!

On the trip to Iowa I got some good reading done and was able to catch up on some much needed sleep, but the rest wouldn't last long. As we drove down the gravel road to my grandmother's farm, listening to the radio forecasting more snow, I realized that there would be lots of shoveling ahead on me for this holiday. My grandmother's driveway was completely covered in ice! We had to salt it, chip it, and shovel it. It took nearly two days to finish!

I was glad to help my grandma, though. She turned 85 this year and is still living on that farm and driving. Pretty crazy. It was nice to get a break from school and visit with family, but I'm glad to be home with my kitty-babies! Now that I've had a nice long break I am ready to get back into school!!!

No comments: