About this Page

Hello, my name is Carly-Anne! This has been my fourth year at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, which means I'm a senior (yay), and will hopefully graduate in the spring (awe!). I have really enjoyed my time spent at UW-P. There are so many classes and professors that have changed my life, and it has provided me with friendships, as well as outlets for my creativity and ambition.

I am very excited to be doing this blog. Not only will I be able to share my experiences with you, the pseudo-reader, I will also be cataloging one of the last years of the "best years of my life!"

But ... I hate one sided conversations, they're so didactic, don't 'yah think? So, if you're an avid blogger, or just stumbled here by accident from your virtual path:
hit me up, and take the polls!


Sunday, January 20, 2008

Go Get That Money! (Time is Running Out for Scholarship Applications!)

Wow. Can you believe it's almost February? There are still two weeks to apply for a scholarship at UW-Parkside! Applications are due by February 1st ... but that's still plenty of time!

As a scholarship recipient myself, I understand the fear and doubt that a lot of students might have in applying for a scholarship. Even though it's a little corny, it's very true that you will never know if you could have won if you never tried! Even if you have applied before and not received one - you should apply again! The first year I applied I did not get one, but this year was different!

I probably never would have applied if I was not encouraged. Sometimes it's hard to believe in yourself, but you might be really surprised! There are so many scholarship opportunities that UW-Parkside offers, so there is something out there for everyone!

This year I was the recipient of the Chase Bank Leadership Scholarship. As you can probably see from my bio, I've had a number of years of experience in student leadership at UW-Parkside. Sure, some of these leadership positions have offered monetary stipends as incentive, but most have not. My involvement in leadership has never been about the money - it has truly meant so much more!

Those that have spoken with me know that I haven't always been such an uber-involved student. I will freely tell people that I probably spent more time in high school in detention than in extra-curricular activities. I made the honor roll my senior year, with early release and an English, Choir, and Orchestra class, but my parents were so elated they bought me a cake!

Clearly, my experience at UW-Parkside has changed my life dramatically. When people from my high school see me now their response is usually, "what? this is Carly?" I am so thankful for the leadership activity opportunities at UW-Parkside. They have helped me develop friendships while giving me a chance to EXPRESS myself and work for things that I am passionate about. It has also given me a new love for my education! In all aspects I am treated like an individual - not a cog in the wheel.

The Chase Leadership Scholarship has also meant so much more to me than monetary assistance. Yes, it has helped me dramatically in being able to financially support myself during this intensive senior year, but it is so much more. It is the capstone of my involvement. It has shown me that anything is possible for anyone. It has shown me that second chances can happen. It has shown me that the work I have put into the university has truly been appreciated.

You might be like me, or you might not. You might be thinking that you're not a great student, or you might be struggling financially. I want you to put aside your doubts and believe in yourself. I tell people, if I can do it, ANYone can do it! But you will never know what possibilities are out there if you never try.

Please, check out the numerous scholarship opportunities that UW-Parkside offers!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.