About this Page

Hello, my name is Carly-Anne! This has been my fourth year at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, which means I'm a senior (yay), and will hopefully graduate in the spring (awe!). I have really enjoyed my time spent at UW-P. There are so many classes and professors that have changed my life, and it has provided me with friendships, as well as outlets for my creativity and ambition.

I am very excited to be doing this blog. Not only will I be able to share my experiences with you, the pseudo-reader, I will also be cataloging one of the last years of the "best years of my life!"

But ... I hate one sided conversations, they're so didactic, don't 'yah think? So, if you're an avid blogger, or just stumbled here by accident from your virtual path:
hit me up, and take the polls!


Friday, January 11, 2008

A Chance to be Creative

After talking to some folks about their college experiences in other universities, it has occurred to me that what I've heard about UW-Parkside is true: though it is a UW-university, you can really gain the education of a private liberal arts school. The opportunities for creative and social expression are endless and sometimes all it takes is a little foot work.

My senior seminar, (the class that is equivalent to a senior thesis), was on the Graphic Novel. It was such an interesting and different experience, and the subject was a fun step away from the traditional. In this class I was able to work on my own comics, and I got pretty good at it! During the same semester I was taking a math class, where I was required to submit weekly journal entries on my experiences with math. The professor said that we would be able to use any format we were comfortable with, so what did I do? I make weekly one-page comics depicting my journey into the land of math! Though I really enjoy writing, it is sometimes nice to be able to try something new!

This past semester I took Cuban American Literature. Beyond being just an amazing class, the professor said that if we did really well on the first major paper assignment that we would be able to do something more creative for the second major assignment. Of course I had to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to try something new, instead of just writing another paper! Ever since I got my AppleMac, I have been interested in making movies; (it's sooo easy)! I interviewed a bunch of people on Cuba and America and edited a short documentary. It was an interesting experience and definitely something new!

Follow this link to see that documentary! http://web.mac.com/carlyanneravs/iWeb/Site/FidelvsChe.html

Feel free to check it out. This is just a little taste of the expansive opportunities for alternative learning that you can gain at UW-Parkside. No, we do not have a directors program, but we do have a Film Studies Certificate. We also have UW-P TV for anyone who is interested in working with film. We might not be Chicago's Columbia, but you can make your experience at UW-P just as cool! But, like I said, it might be more responsibility on you. No one will make you find the hidden opportunities at this diamond-in-the-rough, but you will find them if you are looking!

No comments: